STEMulating DESIGN CHALLENGES IN SCIENCE
Guides to implementing design challenges in the science and CTE classroom
These TEKS-aligned teacher resources:
- provide background knowledge on concepts;
- offer the opportunity to practice skills related to collaboration, communication, creativity, and critical thinking;
- support the development of time management, adaptability, and innovative thinking;
- connect to careers and real-world content applications;
- outline the basic components of a STEM classroom;
- present guidance on how to use an engineering notebook; and
- scaffold the engineering design process using facilitation questions and sentence stems.
All of these foundational pieces support student growth and achievement to successfully complete design challenges.
Design challenges encourage students to think about real-world issues and how students would solve them using available tools and materials. Some challenges even include a budget component. Each challenge is aligned to the TEKS, which are listed in the teacher guide portion of the challenge. The appendix sections provide more information and tips about implementing critical skills, setting up engineering notebooks, and establishing student expectations and roles. The appendices also include reproducible masters and sample rubrics.
Digital access to downloadable content, including the product and accompanying suggested resources, is provided through R4Hub.esc4.net with a user license set up at time of purchase.
STEMulating Design Challenges in Science
$75 per grade band
For questions about this resource, or to set up customized professional development, e-mail email@example.com
View the full calendar of Science workshops available from Region 4 Science here. For customized professional development, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.