Region 4 offers schools the opportunity to provide courses to students that they may not be able to participate in otherwise. Through this web-based program, students can take online courses for credit and/or not-for-credit, depending on their unique needs. Our mission is to offer schools and their students additional online resources so that they can meet their educational goals. Visit the Online Learning 4 Students page for more information.
Top 5 Reasons to take Region 4 Online courses:
- Opportunity—take courses that may not be offered at your school that are aligned to Texas graduation endorsement strands
- Credit—courses are aligned to TEKS and offer graduation credit
- Flexibility—work on course content when it is convenient for you
- Engagement—be part of a community where students work together to create memorable learning experiences
- Technology Skills—students are exposed to a variety of teaching tools that increase their level of comfort with technology and internet usage. The tools provide an enhanced learning opportunity and aid in the preparation for college or career.
New Learning Opportunity
New Course Available for registration (Fall and Spring 23-24)!
Region 4 is excited to partner with We Teach_CS and TACC to bring you Computer Science I!
Computer Science I
Computer Science I is available on the Texas Virtual Schools Network (TXVSN), offered through a partnership between the Region IV Educational Service Center and WeTeach_CS of the Texas Advanced Computing Center at The University of Texas at Austin. This course was developed by a team of highly qualified computer science teachers, led by John Owen, a veteran Texas CS teacher, and WeTeach_CS Computer Science Project Manager. Join WeTeach_CS teachers as you learn Scratch, Jeroo, and Java.
- completely aligns with the TEA TEKS for Computer Science I
- counts as high school credit for your students
- serves as a Pre-AP course, perfect for preparing students to continue into a second year of studying for the CSA AP test
- is 100% online
Click here for more information about this new course!
The curriculum will be delivered through Codio, an online lesson platform and programming environment that's perfect for virtual learning. Throughout the year, regular live virtual meetings will be offered to give students the chance to interact with instructors throughout the course. All instructors are certified by TXVSN, and all students will earn this credit towards their high school diploma, just as if a local instructor was teaching the course.
Registration Fee: $375 (per semester)
TXVSN (start here)
- At the top of the page, select the Parents and Students tab > First Steps
Read this section for general information and guidance on registering for a course. Registration for this TXVSN course is handled through your school or district via the TXVSN site coordinator (you cannot register directly). View the course catalog on this site to make your selection.
- Scroll down this page to view the course catalog (use the filter menu on the left to select the school year (23-24), school semester (fall or spring), and, at the bottom of the page, select the provider (Education Service Center, Region 4)
- Choose Computer Science I-A for Fall and Computer Science I-B for Spring. (*note you must register for both semesters as this is a yearlong course)
For more information, you can also check out our professional development catalog here.