The Region 4 Computer Science Collaborative is recruiting 20 teachers in Region 4 to participate in a more than 60-hour professional learning program designed to increase the number of certified computer science teachers for grades 8–12. This comprehensive professional learning program focuses on computer science content and pedagogy.
The goals of the Region 4 Computer Science (CS) Collaborative are to
- increase the number of certified computer science teachers for grades 8–12 in Region 4;
- provide high-quality professional learning opportunities with accompanying resource materials, equipment, and/or consumable items;
- increase teachers’ and students’ understanding of middle and high school computer science concepts;
- familiarize participating computer science teachers with and provide access to conferences held in Texas; and
- provide teachers with opportunities to create professional networks across the region.
Teachers in the Region 4 Computer Science Collaborative will participate in professional learning that focuses on computer science concepts and pedagogy. This program is composed of two pathways:
- Certification Pathway: This pathway is designed for teachers who are seeking computer science certification and plan to take the computer science TExES exam.
- Classroom Application Pathway: This pathway is designed for teachers who would like to focus on bringing computational thinking to their classrooms, UIL teams, or clubs.
To ensure our goals are met, each participating teacher will develop and submit a Computer Science plan for his/her campus. This plan will outline how a computer science program, course, UIL team, or club will be implemented at their campuses for the 2018–2019 school year.
Benefits & Awards
Teachers will receive
- more than 60 hours of professional learning (online and face-to-face) valued at more than $1,300;
- training in preparation to pass the 8–12 Computer Science Certification exam;
- classroom technology to implement STEM, coding, and computer science valued at more than $1,000; and
- an opportunity to qualify for an additional $1,000 stipend for teachers who pass the certification exam.
Professional Learning Pathways
Computer Science Professional Learning Opportunities (60+ hours CPE)
- All events within a given pathway are required.