The HB3 Reading Academies are provided based on House Bill 3 (HB 3), passed by the 86th Texas Legislature in June of 2019, all kindergarten through third grade teachers and principals must attend a teacher literacy achievement academy by the 2022-2023 school year.
ESC Region 4 is a TEA Authorized Provider of HB3 Reading Academies.
We are excited to offer these mandated academies to Region 4.
Region 4 ESC Texas Reading Academies contact:
Program Manager, Reading Academies
Visit the TEA’s HB3 Reading Academies website for Authorized Provider, School District, Educator, and Cohort Leader Information in the following areas:
- Reading Academy Content Overview
- Reading Academy Implementation Information
- Reading Academy Blended Model vs. Comprehensive Model
- Reading Academy Authorized Provider FAQs Page
- Research for Prospective Cohort Leaders to Review
Cohort Leaders are hired by an Authorized Provider, and administer the Reading Academies Blended or Comprehensive course through the General Education (English) or Biliteracy (Spanish) pathway. Cohort Leaders must have passed the General Education or Biliteracy Cohort Leader Screener to lead/facilitate a Blended or Comprehensive course.
- Cohort Leader FAQs
- Cohort Leader Screener Overview
- How to Register for the Cohort Leader Screener
- How to Prepare for the Cohort Leader Screener
- Teacher Knowledge of Early Literacy Skills Survey
- Comprehensive Guide to Cohort Leader Screener Artifacts
- Additional Resources for Prospective Cohort Leaders to Review
Steps to Become a Cohort Leader
- Pass the Cohort Leader Screener
- Secure employment with an Authorized Provider as a Cohort Leader
- Attend the virtual Cohort Leader Training
- Provided by TEA
- Arranged by the Authorized Provider
How do I know if I am ready to be a cohort leader?
Prospective Cohort Leaders must be knowledgeable in the content and instructional practices for the following areas:
- phonological awareness and the articulation of phonemes;
- six syllable types;
- oral reading fluency;
- comprehension skills and strategies;
- analyzing artifacts;
- coaching and providing feedback; and
- using data to make instructional decisions.
Need a crash course to prepare for the screener? Region 4 offers the Science of Teaching Reading: Crash Course for Reading Academy Cohort Leaders and the Science of Teacher Reading Crash Course – Biliteracy Path for prospective Cohort Leaders.
Check our list of offerings for future training dates.