Region 4 Languages Other Than English (LOTE) provides information, services, products, and professional development to improve student achievement.
Languages Other Than English (LOTE)/ World Languages Contact Information:
Vocabulary and Grammar: Tools for Developing Learners' Performance
January 24, 2019 | Session ID: 1420247
Presenter: Laura Terrill
Explore the connection between language structures, vocabulary and functions by considering what it means to teach both in context.
- Consider the role that accuracy and precision of vocabulary play in the development of proficiency.
- Allow language functions and context to determine the vocabulary and structures that learners need to accomplish real-world performance tasks.
- Techniques for presenting and organizing new vocabulary and structures will be highlighted and participants will experience strategies that allow for contextualized practice in each mode.
- Finally, active and passive strategies for formative and summative assessment of vocabulary and grammar will be discussed.
Laura Terrill is a national consultant who taught French at all levels for 21 years before becoming the Coordinator of Foreign Language and English as a Second Language and then, Director of Curriculum. She recently worked as a Content Specialist for the National Foreign Language Center working with the STARTALK program. She is the recipient of the Founders Award for Central States, has been named as the NADSFL District Supervisor of the Year and has received the ACTFL Florence Steiner Award for Leadership. She recently co-authored the Second Edition of ACTFL Keys to Planning for Learning: Effective Curriculum, Unit and Lesson Design.
7 Steps to a Language Rich, Interactive Foreign Language Classroom
April 30, 2019 | Session ID: 1392241
Presenter: Anna Matis from Seidlitz Education
7 Steps to a Language-Rich, Interactive Foreign Language Classroom is a collection of research-based strategies designed to increase students’ comprehensible input and provide low-stress opportunities for language output and interaction. 7 Steps creates a foundation from which to build an energizing classroom environment where students are motivated to participate and gain access points to numerous target languages comprehensively scaffolded for various language levels. Participants will learn:
- Experience-based classroom strategies (via simulations) in multiple foreign languages
- Innovative ways to use visuals and vocabulary as tools for building comprehension
- Easy-to-implement structures for speaking, reading, and writing in the target language
- Research-based, practical techniques from the new book, 7 Steps to a Language-Rich, Interactive Foreign Language Classroom: Strategies for Teachers of Languages Other Than English (LOTE)
This training was created for novice and seasoned LOTE teachers to transform the foreign language classroom into an interactive environment in which students are engaging in target language academic structures from day one.