The HB3 Reading Academies are provided based on House Bill 3 (HB 3), passed by the 86th Texas Legislature in June of 2019, all kindergarten through third grade teachers and principals must attend a teacher literacy achievement academy by the 2022-2023 school year.
ESC Region 4 is a TEA Authorized Provider of HB3 Reading Academies.
We would be happy to serve your Local Education Agency (LEA) in meeting the requirements of the mandated academies and offer support for a successful implementation.
Region 4 ESC Texas Reading Academies contact:
Michelle Logback, M.Ed.
Program Manager, Reading Academies
Visit the TEA’s HB3 Reading Academies website for Authorized Provider, School District, Educator, and Cohort Leader Information in the following areas:
- Reading Academy Content Overview
- Reading Academy Implementation Information
- Reading Academy Blended Model vs. Comprehensive Model
- Reading Academy Authorized Provider FAQs Page
- Research for Prospective Cohort Leaders to Review
- Year 3 Updates
- Texas Education Agency (TEA) website's Searchable Database - Districts and charter schools can now verify reading academies completion
Cohort Leaders are hired by an Authorized Provider, and administer the Reading Academies Blended or Comprehensive course through the General Education (English) or Biliteracy (Spanish) pathway. Cohort Leaders must have passed the General Education or Biliteracy Cohort Leader Screener to lead/facilitate a Blended or Comprehensive course.
- Cohort Leader FAQs
- Cohort Leader Screener Overview
- How to Register for the Cohort Leader Screener
- How to Prepare for the Cohort Leader Screener
- Teacher Knowledge of Early Literacy Skills Survey
- Comprehensive Guide to Cohort Leader Screener Artifacts
- Additional Resources for Prospective Cohort Leaders to Review
Steps to Become a Cohort Leader
- Pass the Cohort Leader Screener
- Secure employment with an Authorized Provider as a Cohort Leader
- Attend the virtual Cohort Leader Training
- Provided by TEA
- Arranged by the Authorized Provider
How do I know if I am ready to be a cohort leader?
Prospective Cohort Leaders must be knowledgeable in the content and instructional practices for the following areas:
- phonological awareness and the articulation of phonemes;
- six syllable types;
- oral reading fluency;
- comprehension skills and strategies;
- analyzing artifacts;
- coaching and providing feedback; and
- using data to make instructional decisions.
Interested in learning more about Region 4's Literacy professional development sessions? Click here for the latest calendar of workshops!