Cypress-Fairbanks ISD Superintendent Named 2018 Region 4 Superintendent of the Year
Dr. Mark Henry, superintendent of Cypress-Fairbanks ISD, has been named the 2018 Region 4 Superintendent of the Year. As the Region 4 Superintendent of the Year, Dr. Henry is the Region 4 nominee for the 2018 Texas Superintendent of the Year program, sponsored by the Texas Association of School Boards (TASB). The Texas Superintendent of the Year will be announced at the 2018 TASA/TASB Convention, to be held September 28–30, 2018.
Dr. Henry was nominated for this award by the Cypress-Fairbanks ISD Board of Trustees in recognition of his exemplary and visionary leadership toward improving student performance in the district. During his seven-year tenure at Cypress-Fairbanks ISD, the third largest district in Texas, the district has earned recognition and praise in all aspects of its functions, including academics, community involvement, fiscal management, and athletics.
Dr. Henry has been praised by the Cypress-Fairbanks ISD Board of Trustees for his servant leadership, which was an integral part of obtaining and guiding resources to assist the Cypress-Fairbanks community during and after Hurricane Harvey. Due to his leadership, the district served as a point of safety and relief for those impacted by this devastating event.
Dr. Henry’s vision of “Opportunity for All” is the tenet of the district’s goal to provide the best possible education and service to all students in Cypress-Fairbanks ISD. His commitment to excellence is seen in the district’s accomplishments, which include the following:
- 100 percent of the district’s campuses earning “Met Standard” rating for 5 consecutive years since 2012
- Ranking number 1 for financial performance for 7 consecutive years among the 200 largest districts in Texas by the Education Resource Group
- Receiving a five-star rating from TXSmartSchools for academic progress and cost-effective financial management for 7 consecutive years
- Successful passing of a $1.21 billion bond referendum, the largest bond election in the district’s history
- Creation of the Cypress-Fairbanks ISD police department
- Fostering community partnerships that have brought the district $14 million in district and school donations
- Developing successful academic programs for students needing additional assistance in math and reading
“Dr. Mark Henry is well respected by his colleagues, staff, and community and serves as a courageous voice for students and for public education. The district’s successes reflect his personal and passionate belief that the mission of public schools is to provide equality of opportunity for all students. We congratulate Dr. Henry for this well-deserved recognition and wish him the best in his nomination for Texas Superintendent of the Year,” stated Dr. Pam Wells, executive director of Region 4 Education Service Center.
In summarizing the great contributions Dr. Henry has made on behalf of the students, staff, and community of Cypress-Fairbanks, board president Dr. John Ogletree Jr. stated, “We are grateful and proud to have our superintendent, Dr. Mark Henry, represent Region 4 in the TASB Superintendent of the Year program. Dr. Henry is a consummate example for every educational leader in our state and a champion for children of every background. He provides the blueprint to our theme of ‘Opportunity for All.’ ”